Park: Smith Triangle Park
Location: Hennepin Ave S & 24th St W
Project Status: “Be this community strong and enduring—it will do homage to the people who guided its youth.” - Thomas Lowry - For decades skateboarders have been watched over by the Thomas Lowry statue at Smith Triangle. Now it is time to pay homage to the Minneapolis skateboarders and this historic Skate Spot by preserving Smith Triangle for all skateboarders and guiding future youth by providing quality skateparks in SW Minneapolis Parks.
The MPRB SW Service Area Master Plan has begun the development of individual park concepts. Look for park concepts with skatepark locations early 2019. Watch the COS event calendar for meetings and contact your MBRB commissioners to ask for support & funding of skateboarding.
City of Skate Priorities for SW Area Master Plan
1) Establish Smith Triangle as an official Skate Spot with expanded features. A BIG thank you to Nikolai Fjelstad Desantiago for working on concepts (below).
2) Establish New Skatepark at Painter Park.
3) Establish a DIY Skatepark at 28th St. Tot Lot.
4) Expansion of Armatage Skatepark.
5) Establish New Skateable Sculpture Skatepark at Washburn Fair Oaks Park adjacent to MIA.
6) Funding of already approved Bde Maka Ska Skatepark.
Photo Source: Familia Twitter