SW Minneapolis Parks Master Plan
5 Skateparks - SkateSpots proposed in Revised Concepts for 40 Park Spaces throughout SW Minneapolis.
Add Comments to MPRB Survey for ALL 3 Skateparks(Armatage, Painter, & Pershing), the 28th Street D.I.Y. and Smith Triangle SkateSpot- HERE
MPRB homepage with all SW Master Plan info - HERE.
Project Status: MPRB CAC Meetings to be held 7/25, 8/08, and 8/19. Community Advisory Committee (CAC) members will review and discuss preferred park concept designs and provide recommendations to the project team for Board review. All CAC meetings are open to the public and include light refreshments and passive children’s activities.
Contact your MBRB commissioners to ask for support & funding of all MPRB skateparks.
The MPRB Skate Park Activity Plan calling for at least 18 skateparks citywide was unanimously approved by the MPRB at their January 3rd, 2018 meeting.
City of Skate Priorities for SW Area Master Plan - 5 Skateboard Parks/Spots
1) 28th St. Tot Lot - The 28th Street D.I.Y. Spot. Establish a designated space designed, built, and programmed by the skateboard community.
2) Painter Park - Establish a new Skatepark, just south of Lyn-Lake, home to the Cheese Box. Proposed triangle footprint may hinder design and skate flow.
3) Smith Triangle - Establish as an official Skate Spot with expanded features. Maintain current stairs & rails for skateboarding. A BIG thank you to Nikolai Fjelstad Desantiago for working on a COS concept (below). For the past decades skateboarders have been watched over by the Thomas Lowry statue at Smith Triangle. Now it is time to pay homage to the Minneapolis skateboarders and this historic Skate Spot by preserving Smith Triangle for all skateboarders and guiding future youth by providing quality skateparks in SW Minneapolis Parks. “Be this community strong and enduring—it will do homage to the people who guided its youth.” - Thomas Lowry
4) Armatage - Expand and improve already established skatepark, let’s make a new bigger and better skatepark.
5) Pershing Park - Near SW High School a larger footprint would serve this community better, in what is proposed as an “All - Wheel Park”.
6) Bde Maka Ska Skatepark - The SW Master Plan CAC placing support in writing for this space and funding for this already approved skatepark on the NW corner of Bde Maka Ska would help this park in the near future.